Arsenal News

Google

Friday, June 23, 2006

Altogether Now : Embrace sing the anthem


England's anthem for the World Cup was heard for the first time today as 'World at your Feet' was played on Chris Moyles' Radio One breakfast show.

Brothers Danny and Richard McNamara, of chart-topping band Embrace, wrote England's official song in two weeks and it is already being tipped to go straight to NO.1 when it is released on 5 June.

Huddersfield-based Embrace have had a string of top ten hits and lead vocalist Danny explained that their England track is one of the best he has ever written.But he admits he is nervous how England fans will react.

He jokes: "Being in Embrace at the moment is the most exciting its ever been and I'm also a little nervous because if people don't like it, we'll get crucified for it, and if people do like it then it'll be amazing and everyone will be singing along."

But we really poured everything into it and worked our backsides off to make it as good as can possibly be."

I wanted to write a song as good as 'Ashes' or 'All You Good Good People' - they're my two previous favourites of ours and I think it's up there with them - I'm really proud of it."

There is a history of successful football songs associated with England such as New Order's 'World in Motion.' But the real benchmark for the band is whether they can top David Baddiel and Frank Skinner's 'Three Lions.'

" 'Three Lions' was probably my favourite," says Danny. "I loved the whole heartedness of it and the way you can almost hear their voices breaking because they were so passionate about it.

"I loved that and I found that really moving that 'heart on sleeve' whole-heartedness and at Euro '96 when everyone was singing it - that was a proper moment."

Richard adds: "In Frank's autobiography he says it was the proudest moment of his life, he was overwhelmed with emotion."

It must've been amazing to have 80,000 people singing your song. If England do well and people take our song into their hearts - it's the kind of thing that you can tell your grandkids about."

The brothers are both massive football fans and support Leeds United and will be cheering on the Three Lions in the summer. They also believe England will be lifting the trophy in Germany and the band are on call for the celebration party."

This is the first in my life where I think that England can go all the way," says Danny, whose favourite all time England player is Kevin Keegan. "

If we reach the final I would absolutely love to go. That'd be a dream come true but I guess it's up to the players, so I will be keeping my fingers crossed."

The Lyrics:

You're the first in my life
To make me think that we might go all the way
And I want you to know that we're hanging on.

They'll come and yes they'll try to break us down
But we know that we cannot lose
If we keep moving forward and don't look back

With the world at your feet
There's no one you can't beat
Yes it can be done
With the world at your feet
There's no height you can't reach
This could be the one

It's calling, it's calling you now
You know it's going to be our time
Cause the world is at your feet
Yes the world is at your feet

We're still hanging on
Like stars in the sky burning bright
Seen by a billion eyes
Know I want you to know
They're all turned your way

You'll lift it up with one proud kiss
There's nothing else that feels like this
So lift your arms and everyone sing

With the world at your feet
There's no one you can't beat
Yes it can be done
With the world at your feet
There's no height you can't reach
This could be the one

It's calling, it's calling you know
You know it's going to be our time
Cause the world is at your feet
Yes the world is at your feet

From : The FA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home