Arsenal News

Google

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Eriksson defends management style

England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has launched a passionate defence of his World Cup management style.

Eriksson has been accused of lacking a clear gameplan and a consistent selection policy, despite reaching the quarter-finals.

He said: "If we have only one system, you will ask me where is plan B?

"We can use one or two systems - we have two at least - and don't tell me I don't know what to do. I know exactly what to do."

And he added: "If we have two systems you will ask me where is plan C? What do you want me to answer?"

Eriksson was in combative mood as he finally came out fighting in a bid to dismiss claims his campaign has been shrouded in confusion and tactical inconsistency.

He said: "You have always doubted me, so there is nothing new about that. I have a clear vision, we all have, together with the coaches. "Do you think we just tell the players to go out and say 'good luck, do whatever you want to do'?

"If it is right or wrong is another thing but it is clear what we do every minute we are together. I know exactly what to do."

England's squad is growing in confidence that they can end 40 years without claiming the biggest prize in football in Berlin on 9 July.

Eriksson believes in fate - but places more faith in meticulous preparation.

He confirmed: "I believe very much in preparation for games.

"You make your own fate and if you are very well prepared for games you have better luck than if you are not well prepared."

Eriksson defended his surprise decision to switch Owen Hargreaves from midfield to right-back against Ecuador and recalling Michael Carrick.

He said: "Owen can play at right-back and do it very well and the reason we put Carrick on for that game is that Ecuador had two central midfielders not three.

"They didn't have a playmaker like Luis Figo or Deco."

From : BBC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home