Arsenal News

Google

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Campbell would relish move abroad

Sol Campbell has no intention of ending his playing career, despite his shock decision to leave Arsenal, and would relish a move abroad.

The 31-year-old England defender told the News of the World: "All this talk of me quitting and going to Hollywood is rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.

"I want to take my football into a new realm and playing abroad will do that.

"Yes there are clubs interested in Italy, Spain, Germany and here at home but there is nothing finalised."

Campbell, who was part of England's squad for the recent World Cup finals in Germany, had a mixed 2005-2006 season with the Gunners.

He stormed out of Highbury after being substituted at half time against West Ham in February, which raised concerns about his future in the game, but he then went on to score in the
Champions League final defeat at the hands of Barcelona in May.

"People point to the West Ham game and the controversy about me going home but that was not about me losing my love for the game or fearing I could not play at the top anymore," said the former Tottenham star.

"It was about an injury - a long-standing injury that if I had gone on could have ruined my World Cup chances, could even have ended my career.

"I decided I did not want to put it all at risk and that I had to take care, sort myself out and then come back when I knew I was ready."

Campbell also insisted that his exit from Arsenal was an amicable one.

He revealed: "At the end of last season I felt I needed a fresh start and I told Arsenal that. I told manager Arsene Wenger and vice-chairman David Dein and it has just gone from there.

"The more we spoke the more we all realised that the situation was actually good for both parties. They realised it was best for me to move on. There was no wrangling. It was all
amicable.

"It was nicely done but that is Arsenal. They do things in a proper, gentlemanly manner.

"I have walked away with absolutely nothing in place. All I know is that I want to play, in fact I need to play. Not for the money - I am lucky I don't need the money - but I do need this fresh challenge."

And when the centre-half does decide to hang up his boots he would consider a move into coaching or management.

"Did you know I am planning on taking my coaching badges?" he said. "Maybe one day I will be a coach or a manager but right now it is all just about playing football."

From : BBC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home