Arsenal News

Google

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Wenger will see out Arsenal deal

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has vowed to see out his contract, despite the shock departure of vice-chairman David Dein.

Wenger worked closely with Dein, who left the club after "irreconcilable differences" with other board members.

But he said: "I will complete my contract so I am going to stay here until 2008. I will continue to give my best as I always have.

"If this had not happened, people would not be asking me these questions about my contract. I committed to that."

News conference: Arsene Wenger

Wenger paid a rich tribute to Dein, and admitted he may now appoint a director of football to take over the key role the former director played in transfers and contracts.

He said: "We have lost a man of class, intelligence and competence who made a great contribution to this club.

"It is a disappointment and a big loss. David always at heart had the best interest of the club.

"Even if I am very sad it is important to keep the best interest of the club in mind.

"We have many young players and I want to develop this team and go as high up as we can. I don't want speculation; you could talk about the consequences a lot."

Wenger insisted he is happy to work alongside the current board: "I am confident. The history of this club makes me think they have trusted David and myself to make decisions on important issues.

"We had a great partnership but now we have to focus on tomorrow."

Asked if he had turned his thoughts towards a new football director coming in, the Frenchman added: "I have to think about that problem and what is the best solution.

"I will need some help but I do not really know at the moment. It is important the stability is maintained and it will be."

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood, meanwhile, has hit out at the American influence on the Premiership and moved to fight any potential takeover at the club.

Vice-chairman Dein left the club as US billionaire Stan Kroenke bought a 9.9% interest in Arsenal.

Hill-Wood said: "Why don't we want the American at our club? Call me old-fashioned, but we don't need his money and we don't want his sort.

"Our objective is keep Arsenal English, albeit with a lot of foreign players."

Aston Villa, Liverpool and Manchester United have been bought by American owners, but Hill-Wood is determined Arsenal will not fall into US hands.

He said: "Americans are buying up chunks of the Premiership football clubs and not because of their love of football but because they see an opportunity to make money.

"They know absolutely sweet FA about our football and we don't want these type of people involved."

Wenger attended an Arsenal board meeting on Thursday.

Earlier on Thursday Arsenal chairman Hill-Wood had reassured fans that Wenger would stay at the club.

"The relationship that Arsene has with the board is good," said Hill-Wood.

"He is on contract until 2008 and we hope he will extend beyond that."

Hill-Wood added: "It's well known that Arsene and David have got on very well over the past 10 years and I am certain that Arsene will miss him."

Dein, 63, who holds 14% of shares in the parent company of the Gunners, will cease to be a director after leaving because of differences concerning the direction and ownership at the club.

He was thought to be in favour of Kroenke's involvement, and that has put him at odds with Hill-Wood.

But the chairman has been keen to stress that Dein's departure was not due to a lack of transfer funds available to Wenger.

"We've always made funds available to Arsene, he attends the board meetings, he understands the financial position," said Hill-Wood.

"I can assure supporters that we will continue to provide funds when Arsene requires them.

"We have a very good squad - young, maybe, but developing well - and if Arsene wants to strengthen it we have the money to provide him with any reasonable purchases he wants to make."

From : BBC Sports

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home