Arsenal News

Google

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Beckham : "I Proved Critics Wrong"

David Beckham said he answered his critics after scoring the winning goal against Ecuador to send England through to the World Cup quarter-finals.

"It was an ugly performance but it was what we wanted and we'll take ugly performances," the England skipper told BBC Radio Five Live.

"It was nice to silence a few people who have been critical. I can handle my criticism and I'll prove them wrong.

"It was a great feeling to get a goal and put us into the quarter-final."
Beckham also revealed why he was taken off late in the match.

"I didn't feel well before the game but I thought I would be fine and in the first half I felt fine," he told BBC Sport.

"But the sickness continued in the second half and it just came out."

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson believes his 4-5-1 formation was justified.
"I think it worked - the formation," he told BBC Sport.

"We should have scored more goals but I am rather happy that we are in the quarter-finals again.

"We have not performed as well as we can do but it will come later."

Defender John Terry added: "I thought we did well. We were a bit slow in the first half but the goal helped. Becks has been banging them in in training all week and he was fantastic today.

"Of course everyone looks at his free-kicks and his passing but he tackles back and works hard for the team. He is brilliant and sometimes it goes unnoticed.

"We were more positive in the second half. In the last five to 10 minutes we should have kept hold of the ball better.

"It's encouraging and very positive to get into the quarters. We are not firing on all cylinders yet so that's pleasing."

From : BBC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home