Arsenal News

Google

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Rooney targets Ronaldo's record

England's Wayne Rooney is desperate to break his World Cup scoring duck in the quarter-final against Portugal - then begin a challenge for Ronaldo's record.

Brazil's Ronaldo beat German Gerd Muller's World Cup tally when he scored his 15th goal in the win against Ghana.

Rooney, 20, goes into Saturday's tie having not yet scored in Germany but said: "I hope I can do what Ronaldo has done for Brazil in my career.

"He has been one of the best players over the last 10 years."
Rooney has figured in England's last three World Cup games after recovering from a broken metatarsal.

And he added: "It would be nice to get that first World Cup goal but as long as the team wins that is the main thing.

"I don't know how I would feel if I scored after so long out. I couldn't tell you.

"But hopefully I will score soon. I'm hungry."

Rooney played down claims that he alone holds the key to England's World Cup ambitions.

He said: "This isn't a one-man team. It isn't a one-man band.

"I don't think I will win the World Cup on my own. If you look at the results when I was out, the team were winning and playing well."

But Rooney revealed: "There is more to come from this team - definitely.

"In some of the games we haven't played our best football but we have got the results that have been needed.

"That doesn't bother me if we keep winning."

Rooney is one of the young breed of world-class stars but he is still in awe of the World Cup's older generation.

He said: "I thought Zinedine Zidane was brilliant for France against Spain.

"I would like to have a long career like him but you never know what is going to happen in football.

"He and Ronaldo have had some criticism at the World Cup, which is embarrassing because they are both world-class players. They are unbelievable."

From : BBC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home