Arsenal News

Google

Monday, July 24, 2006

Bergkamp has no desire to coach

Dennis Bergkamp revealed he is not keen on returning to football as a coach following his farewell testimonial match against Ajax on Saturday.

The 37-year-old striker called time on his 25-year playing career at Arsenal's new Emirates Stadium and said he now intends to take a break from the game.

He said: "I have never really thought about coaching, it has never really attracted me in any way.

"Boss Arsene Wenger talked to me about scouting, but I have to relax a bit."

An array of Arsenal stars past and present gathered to take on Ajax, Bergkamp's first club, to mark the end of a career in which he made 423 appearances and scored 120 goals.

But Bergkamp insisted that, although it would be difficult to leave, he had no plans for a quick return like Dutch compatriots Marco van Basten and Frank Rijkaard.

"It's difficult to say goodbye to playing football, I joined Ajax when I was 12 and I've been doing it for 25 years so it's going to be tough to finish," he said.

"In a few months, or a few years, when you still love the game I may come back in some form, but at the moment, no."

The Dutchman also admitted that a potential return to Arsenal for Patrick Vieira had been mentioned to the Frenchman after Juventus' relegation following the Italian match-fixing inquiry.

He added: "I think about 56 people have told him that at the game.

"I hope he will but I don't know if that would be the right thing. Everyone saw what he did at the World Cup and if he could reach that level at Arsenal that would be fantastic, but I'm not sure he will do that."

From : BBC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home