Arsenal News

Google

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Wenger slams Reyes offer

Arsene Wenger branded Atletico Madrid's offer for Jose Antonio Reyes an "insult" - and maintained his priority was what is best for Arsenal Football Club before keeping players happy.

Like defender Ashley Cole, the future of the 22-year-old winger - currently sidelined with a groin problem - remains uncertain as transfer deadline day looms.

Reports in Spain suggest Atletico had made a bid in the region of £8.1million, while Arsenal were reported to have placed a £12.2million price tag on the Spain international.

Reyes has made no secret of his desire to return to the Primera Liga, with Real Madrid his preferred destination.

Wenger insists no firm proposal has been put forward by the Bernabeu club - and rejected out of hand the one tabled by their city rivals.

"I do not consider that an offer - I consider that an insult," the Arsenal manager declared.

"I feel if a player wants to go and you get an agreement with the money you want, he goes - if you do not get that, he stays here.

"We will try to make him happy - but what can we do about the situation?

"When a player has a contract you need an agreement of three parties and you need an offer for a player and we have had no offer."

Wenger added: "I am not annoyed [by the situation] because I take care of the players who play and the players who do not play, what can I do?

"He wants to go Spain and we have no offer, what can I do about it?

"I can do nothing.

"It is like you wanting to marry Miss World and she does not want you. What can I do about it?

"I can try to help you, but if she does not want to marry you, what can I do?

"If you are not happy, what can I do about it? It is exactly the same."

Wenger, however, rejected suggestions he would be better to cut his losses and let the unsettled player leave.

The Gunners boss said: "Everybody comes in then and does exactly the same. You have to be careful with what you do.

"What is important is the interest of Arsenal Football Club."

Wenger insisted: "I have a responsibility towards the club and the fans about how I manage the club.

"It is important that everybody is happy at the club - but there are other interests which are above that."

From : Football 365

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home