Arsenal News

Google

Friday, September 08, 2006

Cashley : "I'm not in it for da cash" !

Ashley Cole is determined to prove that trophies rather than money was the motivating factor behind his move to the Barclays Premiership champions.

The England defender moved from Arsenal to London rivals Chelsea in a deadline-day switch that also took unhappy Blues defender William Gallas to the Emirates Stadium.

Cole, who could make his debut against Charlton on Saturday, linked up with his new team-mates this week for the first time since the deal was completed.

The left-back's switch to Stamford Bridge had been one of the longest-running transfer sagas of the summer with Arsenal putting a £20million price tag on his talents.

The Gunners twice rejected Chelsea's straight cash offers but they finally agreed a deal which
saw them receive £5million plus Gallas in return for allowing Cole to move across the capital.

Now the defender is determined to prove to Chelsea's fans that he has joined the club for all the right reasons.

Cole said: "Coming from a rival club, you are always going to have doubters thinking you are here for certain reasons.

"But I can definitely say I am here for the good reasons - to win things. I have always been a winner and always will be. I think coming here I can prove to them that I am here for the good reasons."

Cole, 25, is not expecting to walk straight into Jose Mourinho's side after a good start to the season from his fellow England left-back Wayne Bridge.

Bridge has had to settle for a place in the England squad as understudy to Cole and now looks set to do the same at club level.

But Cole is under no illusions that he will have to battle it out with Bridge for the left-back role.

Cole added: "I have got a hard fight on my hands with Wayne. A lot of Arsenal fans have told me how good he is playing but I am here for a battle.

"I didn't just come here and expect to play. I had it at Arsenal - I had to fight for my place there. There will definitely be a fight here."

Cole admitted that other clubs were interested in signing him but the opportunity to play with England stars John Terry, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Bridge and Shaun Wright-Phillips, had made his decision a lot easier.

He added: "Two or three days before the transfer window, Chelsea came in with their final bid and I'm here now.

"Before I went to the World Cup I spoke to Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger. He asked me where I would like to go and I told him I would rather concentrate on the World Cup.

"They have won the league for two years running and have a great captain in JT (Terry) as well as a lot of English based players. They are a very ambitious team with the players they have brought in like Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack. Hopefully coming here, I can win more medals and the Champions League.

"The England players made it easier for my decision. I play with JT, Lamps, Wayne, Joe Cole and Shaun, so that did influence my decision a little bit more as well."

Cole says he is fit enough to play Premiership football even though he has only taken part in one reserve game for Arsenal and three England internationals so far this season.

"My fitness is good," he declared. "I didn't have the greatest pre-season, I think I went back a week late. I trained on my own and tried to keep fit.

"I have played three England games now and a reserve game for Arsenal so I am getting the fitness. Hopefully I can be involved in the next couple of games.

"I feel good in myself. In the last game I didn't play too well for England but in the games before I felt fit enough and was getting up and down, so if I get the chance, I can do well."

Cole has already set his sights on helping Chelsea to win the title for a third successive season but regards winning the Champions League as the biggest prize.

"I've won the league twice now so winning the Champions league would be a great achievement.

I have been to the final once and I am eager to keep playing and hopefully one day I can pick it up.

"Chelsea have won the league two years on the trot and I think to go to the Champions League final and to actually win it would be a great achievement for them and me as well."

From : Football 365

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home