Arsenal News

Google

Monday, January 15, 2007

WENGER: WE CAN OVERCOME GILBERTO LOSS

Arsene Wenger believes Arsenal can cope with the loss of Gilberto following his sending off at Blackburn Rovers.

BLACKBURN ROVERS 0-2 ARSENAL

The Brazil midfielder will miss the Gunners’ Barclays Premiership clash with Manchester United, the Carling Cup semi-final first leg at Tottenham Hotspur and the FA Cup tie against Bolton Wanderers.

However, Wenger is confident his squad will be able to cope without the combative midfielder.

“Gilberto will be missing but we feel that, with the spirit and quality we have, we can cope with that,” Wenger said.

“We have had three different teams in our last three games but produced the same quality. We are very proud of that at the club.”

Wenger was also full of praise for Blackburn’s Robbie Savage, who urged referee Rob Styles not to send Gilberto off.

Wenger added: “It is very fair from him and, if he has done that, I thank him.

“You have to accept it because Gilberto retaliated and really he should not have retaliated at all.

“Savage could have stayed on his feet but I think he realised he made more of it than he should have. He said to the referee ‘don’t send him off’ because I think he realised he should not have gone down.

“But, if you ask the referee, he will tell you he sent Gilberto off for retaliating and it is a red-card offence.”

Meanwhile, striker Emmanuel Adebayor has threatened to quit international football with Togo.
The 22-year-old was named his country’s foreign-based Player of the Year last month but is unhappy with the lack of organisation shown by the Togo federation.

During the World Cup finals last summer, Adebayor started all three of Togo’s games, although they failed to pick up any points against South Korea, Switzerland and France.

The federation have named three coaches inside the last 12 months and Adebayor is becoming fed up with the lack of organisation.

The 22-year-old admits that he will seriously consider his international future if the situation does not improve.

Adebayor told FIFA Magazine: “If things do not change for the better over the next six months to a year, I think I may end my international career.

“I have to think of myself first, even though playing for the national team is very important to me.

“While I am prepared to give everything to my country, if they cannot organise things well, I will have to make a decision that is best for my life.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home